Crafts DIY DIY fashion glitter

How to Make a Glitter Shirt

December 12, 2011
DIY Glitter Shirt

Ok. You can say it. Enough with the glitter already, Stacie! But I can’t stop. Maybe it’s all the holiday festivities that have got me all glitter-crazy and sparkly-eyed– there’s just no denying how fun it is to glitter everything. Glitter lamp shade. Glitter purse. Glittery pom pom… (And I’ve still got a few glitter projects in the queue!) I’ll draw the line at my dog. (Although now that I think about it, her collar is looking a little drab.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

DIY Glitter Shirt

I originally saw this idea on The Frugalista Diaries. This blog is super cool.

DIY Glitter Shirt

To make a glitter accent shirt you need:

โ™ฅShirt. (I like the look of chambray with gold. :))
โ™ฅFabric Mod Podge
โ™ฅGlitter

Step 1: Lay out your shirt and make sure the collar is flat. If your shirt needs ironing, do it. Otherwise your glittered collar could have a fold.
DIY Glitter Shirt

Step 2: Mix your glitter in a little dish. I would say a good ration of glitter to Mod Podge is 1:1. This seems like a lot, but it works a lot better I’ve found.
DIY Glitter Shirt

Step 3: Paint that stuff on! It might take a few coats if you don’t pile it on. Then let it all dry. (Duh.) You don’t want a Mod Podged neck. ๐Ÿ™‚
DIY Glitter Shirt

And you got it!
DIY Glitter Shirt

DIY Glitter Shirt

DIY Glitter Shirt

Go glitter something! You know what I’ll be doing. ๐Ÿ™‚

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

• Reply rebecca December 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

so cute! have you tried washing it yet?
    rwvanvoorhis at gmail dot com

• Reply Megan, The Frugalista Diaries December 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm

looks great! I love it! Thanks for linking back ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply Megan, The Frugalista Diaries December 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm

looks great! I love it! Thanks for linking back ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply rebecca December 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

so cute! have you tried washing it yet?
    rwvanvoorhis at gmail dot com

• Reply Stacie Grissom December 16, 2011 at 12:21 am

@Rebecca: I have not tried washing it yet, but I think it will be fine if I just hand wash it and be careful! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Hits And Fits December 17, 2011 at 5:12 am

Oh I love this idea! I might just have to try it and give an old collared shirt some new life ๐Ÿ™‚

– Ava

• Reply Hits And Fits December 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

– Ava

• Reply Amy Anderson December 26, 2011 at 8:57 pm

LOVE this! It is so pretty!!

• Reply Amy Anderson December 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm

LOVE this! It is so pretty!!

• Reply Karen December 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm

It sure looks pretty, but I can't imagine that after washing (even hand washing) that the mod podge would melt and the glitter would get all over the rest of the shirt.

• Reply Karen December 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm

• Reply Stacie Grissom December 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Thanks guys!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

And @Karen– I will let you know about the shirt after I wash it, but judging from how hard it was to get the Mod Podged glitter off my bathroom counter top, I don't think it is going anywhere. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply nicola lynde. January 12, 2012 at 8:10 am

Totally tried this to revamp an old button up. Such a great idea! Oh and I managed to find a fabric glue that I was told would hold up to washing (I'm skeptical) but we'll see!

• Reply nicola lynde. January 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm

• Reply MRSKA January 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

This is so cool! Can you wash it?

• Reply MRSKA January 24, 2012 at 7:54 pm

This is so cool! Can you wash it?

• Reply Rae February 23, 2012 at 8:58 am

I found some great glitter shirts from my favorite t shirt manufacturers. That's not enough though! I'm going to add glitter to a few bags using your tutorial.

• Reply Robin/ alarmrx2/ RMR February 26, 2012 at 12:56 am

Everuone has the same concern as me. Washing & drying.

• Reply Robin/ alarmrx2/ RMR February 26, 2012 at 12:56 am

Everuone has the same concern as me. Washing & drying.

• Reply Robin/ alarmrx2/ RMR February 26, 2012 at 4:42 am

Everuone has the same concern as me. Washing & drying.

• Reply Rae February 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm

• Reply ktalinadu1 February 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I've seen this glitter fabric paint that gives the same effect, it can avoid you from the pains of cleaning later if you wash it.

• Reply ktalinadu1 February 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

• Reply ktalinadu1 February 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm

• Reply goodangel03 August 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I really cannot see if you have answered this question yet but how does this hold up in the wash? I am looking into making a glitter shirt for my daughter & myself so that we can cheer on my son's football team and I want to do this with a stencil. But how does it hold up in washing and will it work on cotton or jersey shirts?

• Reply Stacie Grissom August 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I wouldn't do this on shirts that stretch– like cotton or jersey, but if you use fabric mod podge, it will definitely hold up in the wash!

• Reply goodangel03 August 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

• Reply goodangel03 August 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

• Reply Basma Gaber April 6, 2014 at 8:55 pm

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ู†ุธุงูุฉ

• Reply Basma Gaber April 6, 2014 at 8:57 pm

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ู†ุธุงูุฉ ูู„ู„ ุจุงู„ุฑูŠุงุถ

ุชู†ุธูŠู ูู„ู„ ุจุงู„ุฑูŠุงุถ

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ุชู†ุธูŠู ูู„ู„

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ุชู†ุธูŠู ูู„ู„ ุจุงู„ุฑูŠุงุถ

• Reply ุดุฑูƒุฉ ุณู…ุง March 9, 2015 at 3:23 pm

We are really grateful for your blog
    post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work.
    ุดุฑูƒุฉ ุชู†ุธูŠู ุฎุฒุงู†ุงุช ุจุงู„ู…ุฏูŠู†ุฉ ุงู„ู…ู†ูˆุฑุฉ

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ู…ูƒุงูุญุฉ ุงู„ู†ู…ู„ ุงู„ุงุจูŠุถ ุจุงู„ุฏู…ุงู…

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ู†ู‚ู„ ุงุซุงุซ ุจุงู„ุฏู…ุงู…

ุดุฑูƒุฉ ุฑุด ู…ุจูŠุฏุงุช ุจุงู„ุฑูŠุงุถ